I met Jonathan (Nap) circa 2014 when my wife and I were walking down Price Street in Pismo Beach California. We were stopping and Giuseppe’s express to get a few pieces of pizza and heard music coming from down the street. Curious, we took a walk and saw a two-man band playing at a wine bar. We thought why not and took a seat and a few glasses of wine later became great friends of the band.
Jonathan and Brandon make up Cloudship out of Fresno California and tour the country. When they are on the coast, they stay with us. They have keys to the house in case we are out of town. Since I won’t allow animal products in the house they are plant based for the day. This one is for Jon. Brandon’s will be around when I think of something.
- 1.5 cups pinto beans one 15 oz can, rinsed
- 1.5 cups diced tomatoes one 15 oz can
- 1.5 cups best grains or your choice
- 1.5 cups best veggie broth
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika smoked is best, but whatever
- 1 tsp. oregano dried
- 1 tsp. chili powder ancho is best
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp. vinegar sherry is best, optional
- 1 tbsp. olive oil extra virgin, optional
- 1 tsp aminos
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 drop liquid smoke
- Black pepper
- Put that handy Dutch oven over low heat, add the EVOO unless you care about your heart and shit, if so cover the bottom of the pan with veggie broth.
- Add the onion and let it sit and think about the shit it’s done during life for around 8.3 minutes or so should be good.
- Add a few tablespoons of veggie broth and then add the garlic, cumin, paprika, oregano, chili powder and the vinegar (if using). Stir that shit up then let it sit like it’s in line to see the principal for about 3.1 minutes.
- Now toss in the beans, tomatoes, and rest of the veggie broth. Let that cook for about 18.4 minutes.
- Adjust for taste.
- Put your grains in a bowl and top with your beans.