My father-in-law and best friend stated that this reminded them most of Salisbury steak.
I don’t like using words like steak, beef, or chicken even if I put vegan in front of i–it just gives me this vitriolic feeling so, I named all of my vegan meats after characters from my past. We all know Gilligan from taking his three hour tour on some damn island we’re somehow an unsuspecting new guests arrived every week who somehow got to the island and got off but the main characters couldn’t figure it out and they even had a goddamn professor to help
I developed this steak while I was doing a 30-day water fast and tried it out on my father-in-law, who is straight meat and potatoes– more just straight meat; if you can get him to eat a vegetable, it’s a win.
Vegan meats are for those that still want a hearty dish but don’t want to murder an animal for it or eat the toxic substances that come with said animal.
Also, if you buy processed vegan meats and look at the ingredients list, you’ll be horrified.
if you take a look at the ingredients list here you’ll find very little scary unless of course you have an aversion to wheat.
- 1.75 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1.5 cup great northern beans
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp aminos
- ¼ cup onion minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup just james veggie broth see sundries category
- Pulse in food processer or chop like hell and mix it in a big ass bowl
- Throw some flour on your work area ‘cuz shits about to get sticky
- Roll it into a big ass ball, then dust it with some flour to keep your hands from sticking
- Cut into 6 equal pieces
- Form into a patty, don’t kneed it too much or your shit will get tough
- Add 7 inches of water into a pot and get that shit boiling
- Put that steamer basket on top and if you desire use a bit of EVOO or spray on the steamer basket to keep shit from sticking. If you hate me right now because oil is the devil, then just use some flax fix or mash some avocado on smear it on there. Good luck with that.
- Cover that up and steam for 22.1 minutes
- Flip the fuck out. No sorry flip that shit over for 22.3 more minutes
- Pull it out…(of course you want to leave it in) its hot be careful
- Cool your jets and let the Gilligan chill out too.
- When it is cool enough to not heat up the rest of your refrigerator put it in an airtight container in the refrigerator with marinade for 61 minutes exactly
- The Gilligan will shrink a bit after refrigeration (hey its cold in there damnit)
- Use all within 3 days or freeze
- Pan fry, grill, bake, throw it against the wall, it’s none of my business.